As a means by which to chronicle what is going on in the American cultural zeitgeist and how we cater to that, The Hollywood And Highland Character Count is an infrequently occurring sociological examination. Every few Fridays, we’ll share who the performers are that are clogging the Hollywood and Highland sidewalks and see how they change and shift in relationship to what is happening in the entertainment world. We’ll make predictions, keep count of who stays and goes, and log just what is happening at the best microcosm of what is on the world’s mind: Hollywood and Highland.
The Character Count
• Darth Vader
• Buzz Lightyear
• Iron Man
• Black Widow
• Marilyn Monroe
• Chucky of Child’s Play
• Freddy Krueger
• Hello Kitty
• Edward of Twilight
• Wonder Woman
Non-Characters But There
• Sexy Cop Girl
• Girl Jack Sparrow/Pirate Girl
• Some girl with purple feathers for hair
• Generic Princess
• Five Spidermans: Two Red, One Black, One Female, and One Shitty
• Two Batmans
• Two Captain Americas
• Jonny Depps: Willy Wonka and Jack Sparrow…AND RUM DIARY JONNY DEPP!! More on this later.
• Two and a half Catwomans
• Michael Jackson
• Bumblebee and a Batman have a monopoly on showing off.
• Woody and Buzz are always friends.
• Iron Man and Black Widows were together, of course.
• Katy Perry Catwoman, Wonder Woman, and Edward were all together.
• Freddy and Chucky seemed to be tag teaming?
• Rum Diary and Catwoman
• No Iris people today.
• But there was a woman wearing stilts trying to get people in the $10 store!
• Four CD guys. What’s happening with them?
• Characters At Madame Tussaud: Shrek and…Leonardo Dicaprio? Again!?
• There was a guy with a giant Academy Award wood thing that you could stick your face in.
• For the past few weeks a giant TV interactive advertisement for Total Recall has been by the H&H staircase.
• Again: NO BOA CONSTRICTOR GUYS!!
• There were TONS of Spidermans! There were also two super shitty ones: one guy whose costume was two toned and falling apart and some super, super sad looking Spiderwoman. She was pathetic. Photo above!
• Katy Perry Catwoman was back as was some woman in a black leather cat suit who slinked around like a cat. Her commitment was excellent.
• The Chewbacca was great but obviously overheating. We caught him eating fruit in front of Fresh & Easy.
• There were TONS of tourists out today. You know who they loved the most? Edward from Twilight. I was shocked!
• Remember how last time we did this we saw a guy who looked just like Jonny Depp in The Rum Diary? Well, he was back in the same clothes. What does this mean? Someone took this shit super-meta and basically looks like Jonny Depp. Photo above!
• Bumblebee and Batman attract so much attention because they both have about eight feet wingspans. People love them!
• No one talked to Hello Kitty :(
• No one used the Recall advertisement :( :(
• Rambo is officially tied to the Wax Museum off of Highland. Also, if you take a photo with him, he’ll give you a matching red headband!
• Most Creative: Chewbacca. His costume was great!
• Most Popular: Edward.
• Best Duo: Bumblebee and Batman. Hands down.
• WTF: Sad Spiderwoman.
Surprised We Did Not See…
• No one, actually. No good movies are out or coming out and there are ample Spidermans, Batmans, and Edward (from RPatz/KStew breakup). I’d say that everyone is currently on game for popular culture.
Character Predictions And Questions Over Next Two Weeks