As a means by which to chronicle what is going on in the American cultural zeitgeist and how we cater to that, The Hollywood And Highland Character Count is an infrequently occurring sociological examination. Every few Fridays, we’ll share who the performers are that are clogging the Hollywood and Highland sidewalks and see how they change and shift in relationship to what is happening in the entertainment world. We’ll make predictions, keep count of who stays and goes, and log just what is happening at the best microcosm of what is on the world’s mind: Hollywood and Highland.
The Character Count
• Darth Vader
• A red Angry Bird
• Cookie Monster
• Sub Zero
• Luke Skywalker
• Dark Knight Batman
• Mickey Mouse
• Minnie Mouse
• Pulp Fiction Samuel L. Jackson
• Katy Perry/Catwoman
• African American Darth Vader
• Male Hello Kitty
• Two Spidermans
• Jonny Depps: Willy Wonka and Jack Sparrow
• Two Stormtroopers
• Marilyn Monroe–and Marilyn Monroe Wax
• Chewbacca and Luke Skywalker and Sub Zero were friends…
• …while the Darth Vader and one of the Storm Troopers were friends…
• …while the other Storm Trooper had a little R2D2 toy.
• Squidward, Angry Bird, and Katy Perry Cat were all friends.
• Mickey and Minnie, naturally.
• No Iris people today…and NO BUMBLEBEE!!! WHAT IS GOING ON???
• Only two CD guys! One was topless and the other was hiding in the shade. What does it mean? The CD guys HATE hot weather.
• Characters At Madame Tussaud: Shrek, Lucy, and Marilyn Monroe.
• There was a magician who had a small crowd.
• The bucket drummers were back…but refused to place.
• One of those guys who stands still until you give them money was there.
• There was a giant Lunchables advertisement to replace the Total Recall thing.
• There was a “Dart II” car setup over three tents.
• That show Hotel Hell had a little setup, too.
• There were some people selling their spray paint art.
• Today’s theme was definitely Star Wars as they had a monopoly on figures.
• As mentioned above, Bumblebee was missing!! It’s not the same without him :(
• I realized that Hello Kitty is actually…A MAN. I saw him without his head on yesterday and went :O :O :O
• That Katy Perry Catwoman may be my new favorite character.
• That Samuel L. Jackson guy is so convincing looking that it very well may be Mr. Jackson.
• Squidward was a great addition–and what a unique costume idea! He didn’t hang out with Spongebob, though. Missed opportunity!
• It was remarkable how there was both a Marilyn Monroe wax figure and woman this week. They knew her death anniversary was recent!
• There were far too many advertisements that no one cared to use. The Lunchable, Dart II, and Hotel Hell thing are a little annoying in general; however, it’s even more annoying when they are just there, going unused and taking up space. Perhaps tourists are smarter and don’t like advertising more than we think?
• Sub Zero and Scorpion were also a very good addition to the bunch. They did not give a shit they were there though–one of them even quit while we were there.
• On hot days like this, the characters just stand under the storefronts in the shade and watch people.
• Most Convincing: Samuel L. Jackson
• Least Popular: Willy Wonka. Jonny Depp’s films flopping do a real number on these characters!
• Most Unique: Squidward
• Overall Best: Katy Perry Catwoman
Surprised We Did Not See…
• BUMBLEBEE. WHERE IS HE??
• More Batmans. There was only one!
• No Avengers today. That may be a first.
Character Predictions And Questions For Upcoming Weeks